Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike. Guess what day it is. EARTH DAAAAAYYY! If you didn’t already know, tomorrow (April 22nd) is Earth Day!!! And in honor of it, I have put together a list of 7 awesome things you can do to celebrate.
1. Walk/Bike/Carpool- Choose today to be conscious of your transportation. Walk to school. Or skip the gym and go for a bike ride. Or get all your work friends together and set up a carpool to work. I recommend listening to Backstreet Boys at full volume during your ride because nothing gets you pumped up for the day like belting out “I Want it That Way”.
2. Change yo light bulbs- If you don’t already use eco-friendly light bulbs, ride your bike (or drive if you must) to the nearest Home Depot and check out their light bulb selection. They have light bulbs that use up to 85% less energy than regular bulbs. That means you will be saving precious energy and $$$$$. Win win.
3. Buy a piece of the rain forest- When I was in 2nd grade we did a big unit on the rain forest. We learned about its importance and made up songs about unique rain forest species. At the end of the unit we put on a concert for our parents where we sang all the songs we wrote and at the very end we sang Amazon by The Nylons (I encourage you to take a listen HERE). Our teacher even brought in tissues because she said in the past the song had been so powerful it has made parents cry. I was oddly excited by the idea of making adults cry and belted out my part as emotionally as I could, but unfortunately no water works. Listening to the song now, I realize how powerful the words actually are. With that being said you can purchase and protect your own little piece of the rain forest HERE.
4. Go vegan for the day- Meat production generates large quantities of greenhouse gasses, which are bad for the environment. Therefore, cutting back on meat consumption is good for the environment. I will award bonus points if you are able to make all your vegan meals without any electricity! Did you know Oreos are vegan…
5. Block your junk mail- Too many trees are being cut down and used to annoy everyone. But alas! There is a way to end the madness! TrustedID is an online service that can help you get your name omitted from mass marketing mailing lists. You can sign up and learn more HERE.
6. Plant something cool- I feel like planting a tree is the most common Earth Day activity. But this year, add a little flare and check out these crazy cool plants for some inspiration.
7. Donate to the Earth Day Network- Earth Day is more than just a day. It is also a network of over 22,000 partners around the world that organize, extend, and encourage the environmental movement. The current core programs they focus on today are: Greening Schools and Promoting Environmental Education, Accelerating the Global Green Economy, A Billion Acts of Green, The Canopy Project, Earth Day India, Campaign to protect the Asian Elephant, and The Green Cities Campaign. You can read more about these projects on their website. And if you would like to make a donation to the Earth Day Network click HERE.
So there you have it. Go out and have some fun while making the world a healthier place! And if you have some activities that were not on the list, feel free to leave them in the comments!